About us

Monday, July 25, 2022

I (31M) feel I don't deserve my girlfriend (26F) and I wonder if I should let her go so she can have someone better.

My girlfriend and I were friends for a year until we got closer and hit it off a year after that. Eventually we got together, and she is everything I ever wanted in a woman. I feel this is the first time I've truly loved somebody and found the right person for me. She has said the same to me too.

But this has been gnawing at me for a while, which is the insecurity I feel with her a lot of times. First, my girlfriend has a day job, but she's also a beautiful singer and has a successful career performing and making her own music. She sings all different kinds of styles (like opera, rock, R&B) and she is genuinely great at them all. She comes from a nice family, she went to a nice college, her life is honestly amazing. Me: I'm a contractor, I had a rough upbringing, didn't go to college, I don't make that much...I know she loves me, but sometimes I don't get why she chose me, and it is very obvious when I am introduced and people learn what I do, they look confused as well. I feel totally out of place in her circles and her life and just our leagues in life.

And then we are an interracial relationship; my girlfriend is Black and I am a white man. There's no easy way to say this but I basically do not feel "cool" enough for her. My girlfriend sings R&B styles often which is a beautiful expression of Black culture but it does make me think of how she could easily choose a Black guy to be with, who understands that world and fits her personality and style better.

Now before this gets misconstrued, this is not some secret plot to get rid of my girlfriend because I actually want someone else (I've seen such accusations made before on Reddit.) I would love to stay with her, our emotional and mental and physical connection is amazing, I honestly don't want to leave her. I sometimes feel like an asshole for feeling this way because my girlfriend tells me almost everyday she loves me, she wants me, etc. but she doesn't know these internal feelings/doubts of mine.

TL;DR My girlfriend is out of my league and I feel a lot of insecurity for being with her. What can I do to alleviate these feelings or what do I need to learn?

submitted by /u/Glittering_Shoe_4460
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment