About us

Sunday, September 18, 2022

My girlfriend compares me to her sister

Hi,

I (F22) and my girlfriend (F24) have been together for over two years.

I'm a competitive powerlifter and I have been into the sport since I was fourteen and I still do it at present. It's been almost a decade and I'm soon hoping to travel and compete more. There is one exercise I can't do, however, and it is pull-ups, not because I don't have the strength, but because I have elbow injury that's been preventing me from doing certain exercises. Anyway, recently I tried seeking therapy and am now learning to do pull ups despite my injury. I can do about three (I weight 190 pounds, I'm just tall) and I'm so happy that I decided to share it with my girlfriend.

The problem it, my girlfriend has a sister (F16) who began doing light exercises two months ago. She can do three pulls ups as well but she is very light (under 100 pounds). My girlfriend always says how I must seek advice from her and stuff like this and I remind her that my injury doesn't cancel a decade of training (compared to her sister's two months). If anything, her sister regularly asks me what she could improve and reaches out to me for guidance.

Yesterday my girlfriend was happy to share she was accepted in academia for arts. I bought her a new purse, some accessories for arts hobby and baked her cookies to show my pride and appreciation. In the evening I shared that I did three pull ups and I was about to cry when she said "You should learn from my sister, she does three no problem! Why took you so long? She must be following some special plan you should too," I felt kind of hurt and said "Well, she doesn't deadlift 400 pounds like me too." And she said "Why compare her to you, you are heavier and have trained for a long time." And I said "That's the point why are you always comparing me to her?"

My gf tried defending herself my saying she just points out how proud she is of her sister and I just left and haven't been in the mood to talk. How do I proceed? She says she doesn't compare me to anyone but anytime I even clue about training she would begin "Oh, my sister just did that..."

Other example is when I went jogging and she said when I returned "my sister beats you with twenty seconds haha." She then said I could be jealous of her sister which was the cherry top.

Any advice?

TL;DR my girlfriend compares my advanced weightlifting experience with her sister who began two months ago. When I confronted her and asked her to notice my achievements more she said I'm jealous.

submitted by /u/relativelyin
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment