About us

Thursday, September 1, 2022

I (M25) feel insecure about girlfriend's (F27) ex being in her friend group

Hey guys, need some advice on this since I don't want to fuck this up.

New girl I'm dating and she's amazing and I really like her. We always have a great time together and I feel like I'm falling in love with her every day.

She has an ex with with whom she was together for 8 years (they got together when she was 16) - they broke up 2 years ago cause he cheated on her. They're also in the same friends group so they see each other from time to time (its weird for me that they meet considering he cheated on her) but other people in the group also have exes as friends and its normal for them. I just find it very weird because I have never been in this situation before and also me and my friends' group could never do this.

Last time the friends were meeting she told me the ex would be there as well. No issue she told me so no big deal.

She's been really excited to go to this festival with her best friend and during some conversation about the festival I asked her if she's gonna know other people there cause she was telling me about this festival for a few weeks cause she was excited for it (Showed me the setup and flyer and always showed me the updates etc.). She said some other acquaintances will be there and friends of friends etc.

The other day, we were together and she always uses her phone openly in front of me and never got a feeling she's hiding something or being shady. Her best friend was gonna come over and they were gonna drive to the festival together and drop me off for my train on the way. I see that she gets a text on her phone and its her ex who asks her if they should save them a parking place cause the places might be taken soon. I felt really shitty when I saw that cause she told me last time he was gonna be there and this time she didn't even mention it. I don't wanna sound insecure or some shit but this shit is bugging me. Also, she told me and showed me (it said on the festival flyer) that there might be limited service cause of the area so be prepared etc. I just felt really bad connecting these things and imagining something terrible.

When I confronted her, she felt really bad and said she should have told me that he was gonna be there as well. She told me my feelings were valid and I wasn't being insecure. She also said she doesn't like to mention the ex in front of me because obviously I wouldn't react positively to it. We didn't really get to talk so much about it cause her best friend showed up and we had to leave.

I feel like she's really into me - I've met some of her friends, she sends pics of us to her mom and I've also met her coworkers on multiple occasions.

I've tried to get back into dating properly after my previous relationship and this shit is just killing me. She felt really bad and is still texted me while at the festival (doesn't matter, I know) and she said she wants to solve this - she also suggested she could block his number or something it makes it easier for me but I didn't want that obviously either since if it's not going to effect us, and they're all friends it makes sense they see each other from time to time.

When we met again, we talked about it and I told her how this is eating me up from inside and she totally understood my feelings. She said we're gonna spend more time together so naturally she will see her friends less and the ex will fade away. She also said she feels nothing for her ex at all and it's been 2 years since they broke up. She also invited me to her friend's birthday party next month where he's gonna be there too. I said yes, I will be there with you. Maybe it helps seeing their lack of anything in person.

So two things - do you think I'm being insecure or do I have enough reason to worry about this?

Second thing: Regardless of whats happening, do you think this insecurity will keep killing me? And also how can I deal with this going forward not just with her but also if this doesn't work out in general with other future potential partners too? I would be just scared to date if I fuck this up so I'm really scared and overthinking it a lot.

Please be brutally honest and also guide me on what to plan for both of us so this doesn't become a problem for us. What signs should I look for?

tl;dr - started dating this girl recently and her ex with whom she had a long term relationship with is still in his friends circle and I feel insecure

submitted by /u/invertthis
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment