About us

Friday, December 16, 2022

Am I (F23) too sensitive for my BF (M24)? His mental illness hurts me

Generally, he's very sweet. We live together and that's how we met. He will often walk me to work/college, he cooks me food when I come home late, he'll call me "sweetheart" all the time. He's very supportive when I'm down. However, sometimes when he's very down he doesn't want to cuddle and will tell me not to touch him. Then he feels guilty and says he's a bad boyfriend and "what's wrong with me, you're lovely, I shouldn't be so cold". He snapped at me yesterday while quite depressed. He said something about wanting to call in sick to work. I said he shouldn't because he'll feel worse about himself in the long run. From experience, when I start making excuses for myself, I spiral worse and feel so much worse. That's all I meant. He called me condescending, unsympathetic and said I wasn't his mom. I said I guess I can't do anything right. He stormed out of my room and didn't talk to me for 4 hours, until I tried catching him before work. He said he didn't have time for me, noticed I was upset (asked if I'd been crying- I was on the verge) and said he'd talk to me tomorrow?? When he was coming home at 11.30 and he knows I stay up till 1am usually. And knew I was upset??

He went straight to bed when he got home. I came to his room, said he had ruined my day with his stonewalling as I didnt know what was happening and he made me cry and if he cared at all, he wouldn't spoken to me after work or texted at the very least. He likened me to his emotionally abusive ex?? After a while he felt bad. Thing is, he clearly was quite depressed and I started to see it myself in his face as we got talking. He said something about feeling he can't be himself/trust people like me/our other roommates anymore. That i don't know the real him. He then said it's probably depression talking and apologised a lot. . However, he then said he has the right to be mad with me for a few hours or a day if he wants and he thinks it's manipulative for me to expected an argument to resolve after an hour or 2 of space when he needs space to cool off. Is this a bad relationship?

TLDR: BF with bipolar disorder is a bit of a jerk sometimes. Am I too sensitive for him?

submitted by /u/scaredvitbit
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment