About us

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Booking Same Wedding Venue as Sibling

I am 25F and my sister is 32F. Years ago my fiancé and I planned out our entire engagement and wedding plans well in advance. My sister unexpectedly got engaged a few months before I did and I was so excited for her! She began to plan her wedding for next fall.

After I got engaged there was this unspoken expectation that I would not plan my wedding until 2026 and I told her that I would wait although I was pretty unhappy in doing this. However, recently my dad almost died and had to have a big life altering surgery and I realized that I was the one 20 years from now who would regret it if God forbid my dad wasn't able to walk me down the aisle because I waited for two years. I reasoned with myself that I will not invite out of town guests so as to not impact her wedding and so the wedding planning began for next summer because that's when our anniversary is.

Okay this is where things get kind of messy. I already knew where I wanted my reception from years ago and we live in a town where there's not a huge selection of nice banquet halls and this particular venue is extremely popular in our town for hosting weddings. When my sister started planning her wedding she would go on about how much she didn't like this place, however, she did a tour and decided to book it back in spring. I personally do not see why having my reception at this venue is a threat; my guest list is less than a third of the size of hers, there are maybe 5 guests who overlap, the reception is an a smaller room tucked away in the lower level, and it is an extremely popular venue in our area where many people we know personally have gone. My parents support me as they know I’ve always liked this venue and I’m not booking it to intentionally upset her.

When I told her she completely blew up saying how upset she is that I'm getting married in the same year as her and how she's never felt more low and insignificant in her life. She then texted my mom saying that she's cutting contact with the family, saying my mom betrayed her by allowing me to make my plans, ripping her to shreds even though she wasn't involved at all. For context she has a dog that we take care of for her; my parents love this dog, he is literally grandson to him and they've cared for him for the past decade. Well she said she's not going to allow him to be taken care of by my parents anymore as some sort of punishment and that she'll only have him under our care when she's working.

I just feel really guilty that my mom was dragged into this for absolutely no reason not long after my dad had his surgery.

TL;DR, My dad became extremely unwell and I decided to bump up my wedding by a year and use the venue I wanted to use, but my sister is using the same one.

submitted by /u/Helpusnamekitty
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment