About us

Friday, June 30, 2023

Should I end contact with an old friend?

I've had this friend since the 5th grade, and we're in our 30s now. We used to be best friends for years from 5th grade all the way to high school, and beyond. In the last 5 or 6 years, we sort of fell out with each other for no real reason.

My friend vouched for me at this IT company, and got me a job there. Long story short, he ended up getting laid off after a few years and I stayed. I got promoted to a manager level, while he went off and began working for another company.

Ever since his lay off, we sort of stopped "hanging out" I guess. We're not on bad terms or anything, but we're just not close anymore.

I haven't hung out 1-on-1 with him in over... probably 6 years; long before his lay off happened. We chat all the time on discord, but it's not the same. The guy is also completely addicted to video-games, which may have something to do with this. I can see his steam profile, and he games anywhere from 120 hours to 150 hours of games PER 2 WEEKS. It's crazy, but whatever.

He's also made some pretty hurtful comments in the past. Now he's making more money than me in his new job, and one time he told something along the lines of "I'm making more money than you now, and you're still stuck in that shithole" which was totally out of left field and random to me. It was kind of bizarre, because I didn't do anything to cause his lay off. The company lost some contracts, and had to lay off a substantial part of the staff. But, ever since then I've been promoted and I make way better money than I did when we were both working there; but yes, he still makes more than me.

Which I don't understand... If he makes more money than me now, why would he be bitter towards me? I don't really get it.

Point is, what should I do? We don't hang out, we're not close. I don't even know if I could consider him a friend at this point anyway...

Thoughts? Any questions I can field are totally fine. I just want to know if I should just slowly end all contact with him, since it seems like this friendship isn't really serving either of us anymore.

But, at the same time; I have alot of great memories with him from the past and I feel like he's not the same person I used to be close with.

TLDR: Longtime friend has become distant, and no longer initiates 1-on-1 hangouts with me. Unsure if he's bitter about a lay off from a job we both held, or if he's just gotten bored of the friendship. Need advice on how to handle it from my end.

submitted by /u/cknting
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment