About us

Saturday, March 23, 2024

How can I smooth things out with my brothers or shall I just leave them to it?

I’m 48 and my brother’s are in their early 50’s. Around 11 years ago, I needed to buy a house, I was struggling to find rental accommodation at the right price for me and my family.

Meanwhile, my poor mum was having a terrible time trying to keep up with her house and the bills, she also had loads of debts, left by my dad. We didn’t know how much it was until after he passed away, 5 years prior. My mum was unable to give up full time work cos of these debts and she was getting on herself (age 70), the house was in disrepair, I hated seeing her like this and feeling hopeless at what to do next, I went to my older brothers to ask for help, I suggested buying mum’s house, they said as I was looking why didn’t I buy it and get her into council accommodation, she could then use the equity to pay off her debts, have a little left over and give up work. It wasn’t a bad idea but there was a lot of work to do but I chose to do it so I could help mum out also. I bought the house and did a mini refurbishment, had to get extra funds to fix the property. I helped mum sort out her council accommodation and move her in. It was a tough time as I was looking after my own family too.

In 2021, I found out my partner was cheating on me, we ended up separating and selling the house. Had some equity which helped pay off my debts and some legal costs etc. Fast forward to 2023, my brothers came to me and ask me for money as they’ve racked up some debt. I really wish I could’ve helped them but I didn’t have anything left, they haven’t spoken to me since, they said that they were expecting money from mum and it was down to me to pay it. They said that they didn’t worry about getting into debt as they knew it would be paid off. My mum isn’t happy with them but why I am made to feel so bad, how do I correct things? They won’t talk to me now. What are your suggestions to repair our relationship?

TL;DR; : Brothers wanted money from me as I got money when I sold my house but paid off my own debts & legal costs. I have a family to support. Shall I leave them to come round? I’ve apologised for not having any to give them but since I’ve said I don’t have it they’re not talking to me.

submitted by /u/Windy_skies1423
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment