About us

Saturday, March 9, 2024

I (F28) broke up with my boyfriend (M27) because he broke a promise. Am I being unreasonable?

TL;DR Boyfriend attacked me while he was drunk. I took him back because he promised to stop drinking. He drank for the first time in months, so I broke up with him. Am I being unreasonable because he has improved in certain respects?

For context, my ex and I always had a rocky relationship. One of those ones where “when it’s good, it’s really good. When it’s bad, it’s really bad”. I’m talking arguments that resulted in terrible name calling, threats to break up, even having the police called.

Summer of last year, I started a new job. He expressed to me, as I began, that he was feeling insecure about me cheating with my new colleagues. I did everything I could to reassure him, but 2 weeks into my new job, I went out for after work drinks with my colleagues. When I returned home, he was extremely drunk and accused me of cheating from the moment I arrived. After a big back and forth, he ended up attacking me. I immediately called the police and he was taken away. This resulted in him legally not being allowed to talk to me or see me for a month. But that didn’t stop him. He begged and made so many promises, the biggest one being that he’d stop drinking forever. We both agreed that if he broke that promise, it’d be over. I was in a really vulnerable state at that point, so despite what he did to me, I took him back on his promises.

Fast forward to today and he has made many improvements and has become a better partner in most respects. However, I left the country for a few days for a short trip and one night, he ended up getting black out drunk, which I found out through his texts and calls to me. In that moment, I stuck to the deal and said we were over. He battled hard and said he made a mistake and promised that this time, he’d really stop because he can NOW really see the damage his drinking would cause.

With everything in the past and the broken promise, I put my foot down. But still, I can’t help but wonder if I’m being unreasonable because it was one slip up out of all the other improvements that were made? Will he really be better and stick to his promise this time? Or have I made the right decision?

submitted by /u/Ok_Philosopher1868
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment