About us

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

I think my dad is letting his boyfriend impersonate him via texts to me

Either that or my dad's behavior is strange and confusing enough to warrant concern that he may be on drugs or going through some kind of mental break.

I'm F(30), my dad is M(55) and boyfriend is M(43)

Some background info, my parents got divorced about 5 years ago after being married and mostly very religious for about 28 years. 3 years or so ago my dad started seeing a man he met on a dating app. They are still together.

Yesterday I got some texts from my dad that were very unlike him. Not only the use of text talk abbreviations like '2' for 'to', but also the things he said and typos left in the messages made me think it was the boyfriend. They mentioned that boyfriend had a root canal procedure happening the next day, which is why I don't think it is some random third party spoofer/scammer. I asked if it was the boyfriend and he replied, no im just being silly, and started typing out more words completely like my dad does. He says, ask me something only i would know. Which is so weird, and not something my dad would ever say. I tried calling, feeling extreme ick and privacy invasion, and got the answering machine after 3 rings. I presume boyfriend cancelled the call. Half an hour or so later my dad called and left a message on my phone saying he got my call. I thought I would try calling him at work the next day so I messaged to tell him we could talk tomorrow and he said it sounded good.

So today I message again, asking if it was my dad messaging me. Again the reply is that it was. Again, the use of lol makes me think it is not my father on the other end. I tell him he's making me uncomfortable and he says, sorry hun. My dad, never. Has called me hun. He uses other terms of endearment regularly, but not that one. So I call the office number and it sounds like my dad on the line. I'm trembling at this point, I again ask my dad if it's him I'm messaging with. He says yes, and laughs awkwardly. He doesn't ask why. I pause and slowly ask him if he's lying. He laughs all awkwardly and forced and says no, it was always me. I tell him ok, fully not believing him, and that I would talk to him later.

I have been texting my sister throughout this ordeal and she has agreed that the texts are strange and this could be something the boyfriend might do as he 'has no chill or boundaries.' I live across the country from him right now or else I would go over to check on him, I'm so concerned and confused and worried. My dad has never lied to me before, at least not so obviously.

Does it seem like I'm overreacting?

Tldr; my dad is in his first queer relationship and I've been receiving concerning texts from him

submitted by /u/ShyPet20
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment