About us

Saturday, April 29, 2023

My (29M) mom (53F) feels disrespected now that I'm spending less attention on her

I need some guidance in regards of how to navigate the relationship with my mum.

She raised me as a single mum, worked hard, basically put her dreams and wishes and health into me. Now I moved abroad, which she took very hard but finally accepted. I used to visit her all the time when I was back in my home country and I'm visiting her and flying back as much as I can now.

A few months ago I started a relationship with a girl, we spend quite sometime together and we're happy. As a result, maybe my daily phone calls with my mum was not as frequent or long. But that's where my mum started to get weird.

She started saying often that I'm just forgetting her in a favor of some random chick. When I announced our first holiday together in an exotic country - my mum called my girlfriend an insane bimbo and it's her fault we're going there because I would never come up with this and if something bad happens - God help my girlfriend, because it's not safe.

I'm supposed to be flying back home for a week next week, but she's super unhappy because I used to stay longer when I was single (I would stay 2 or 3 weeks in her house, which is way too long, personally). She again blames my girlfriend for this, that I'm forgetting my mum for some one random chick out of dozens to come. When I finally snapped and I said that I cannot be holding onto my mother and I need to cultivate my personal relationships with other people (my tone maybe was not the best), she snapped, dropped the phone call and announced that I'm way out of line recently and I'm not even noticing that. I do get sassy when annoyed and maybe I said some hurtful things but it's just the whole dynamic of our relationship that really puts me on edge and makes me invalidated

I don't even wanna go home at this point. It's just so much recently. But if I wouldn't go, she would see it basically as a declaration of cutting ties. I'm at a loss, what do I do?

TL;DR My mum feels abandoned and disrespected now that I have a girlfriend. I'm supposed to go visit her next week but it's clearly going to be negative as hell, lost at what to do with our relationship.

submitted by /u/Pr0xus
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment