About us

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

My (29f) partner (40m) is depressed and it’s becoming too much for me

Tldr my partner of nearly 3 years is severely depressed and it’s making me I’ll

Long story short we live together and have had an amazing relationship for the most part. I love him so much and he’s the most important person to me. He’s stayed with me through some seriously rough times and he’s very loyal. But his job is really depressing him at the moment - he’s stuck in a position that is unfulfilling with not much chance of career progression and he has been for a few years - and he’s become very depressed. He’s moody and angry all the time, talks to me in a hostile way and when I ask what’s wrong he says he’s depressed about work but doesn’t want to talk about it as it makes him feel worse. He keeps slamming doors and banging things in the kitchen loudly. I am trying to stay positive and do nice things for him but it’s hard not to take it personally and I’m starting to feel really low myself, like I’m not good at making him feel better and I’m not right for him.

It doesn’t help that I am quite a bit younger and earning a lot more than him. He’s incredibly bright (probably the sharpest person I’ve ever met, including my parents, both of whom went to Harvard) but very shy and terrible at self-promotion, and has spent his career being largely overlooked. I don’t want the pay disparity to be an issue but it looks like it will be no matter what. He seems to resent me and think my success is undeserved.

I have a stress induced autoimmune condition that has started to flare up again and I need to fix this situation now for my health. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like everything I’m doing is wrong

submitted by /u/Fantastic-Abroad2323
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment